Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Post I meant to Write Two Weeks Ago


It's a new year and Joseph is 3 so that means... SUNBEAMS! He's been geared up for weeks, talking about Primary and all the things he gets to do in there. The day before he officially started there was a Primary PJ Party where all the kids got to meet their new teacher(s), put stickers on a prayer rock and color a journal. He had so much fun getting to do things with the big kids!


At church, the next day, we talked up Sunbeams and how Sunbeams do Big Kid Stuff and always use the potty and get to sit in Primary. We'd been doing this for days (weeks, really) to get him ready. As soon as the last prayer was said in the chapel he was off like a shot and halfway down the hall toward nursery, as usual. "Hey Joseph! Sunbeams are over here, in Primary! You don't go to nursery anymore!" This was Not a Good Thing, apparently. He didn't want to go in to the Primary room. "Come here, babe. I'll sit with you." So Mommy sat in one of the little seats on the front row while we waited for his teacher. "Look! There's your teacher--say hello. And there's Jack. Jack's in Sunbeams, too, just like you. Do want to go sit by Jack? Sure you can go sit by Jack! I'll see you later, sweetheart."

Meanwhile, Mr. Wiggle-pants (aka James) wanted to go wandering up and down the pews during Sunday School. After spending several fruitless minutes wrestling him, I decided it wasn't worth the effort and took him to consult the nursery leader. "16 months? He's playing just fine--go back to class, Mom" Score! (Really, he's only spent 4 months not in the nursery, so I knew he'd pick it back up pretty fast.)

After church, Elena's teacher dropped her off in Relief Society, then I got James and she got Joseph and we all headed to choir. Joseph showed me his hat that he colored and when I asked what he did in Sunbeams he shouted "I go potty!" Anything else? "Umm... We sing songs."

So, I guess hearing that Sunbeams use the potty was the last push that he needed to be declared Potty Trained. I haven't had to wash out underpants in a month or more and the number of wet pants dropped drastically in the last two weeks of December. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. After all, he started wearing undies because you have to use the potty to go camping with Daddy. Now he keeps them dry so he can go to Primary.

1 comment:

Marin said...

Yay Joseph! I can't believe we have such big kids!